Every company with operations worth measuring should be using modern dashboards to collect and display its most important data. But what is it about the benefits of modern dashboards that make them so useful? And how can you make the most of them?
The Features of a Modern Dashboard
Modern dashboard software features vary depending on what you purchase (or build), but you can usually count on some combination of the following:
- Templates and style options. You don’t have to deal with a generic dashboard out-of-the-box. Instead, you can choose from several pre-existing templates and adopt a style that can apply across all your individual dashboards.
- Flexible chart types. You’ll also have several options for what types of charts and graphs you want to feature. Different data sets demand different types of visuals, so it’s important to be able to choose the right chart for the right set of data.
- Custom fields. Modern dashboards also allow you to create custom fields, allowing you much more flexibility in how you present your most important data.
- Easy filtering and search. Are you looking for something specific? Modern dashboards make it easy to filter your data so you can isolate individual variables and search with pinpoint precision.
- User role management. Robust modern dashboards also allow you to actively manage user roles and individual users, so you can grant access to all the right people without compromising the integrity of your data.
- Cross-platform optimization. Naturally, modern dashboards are optimized so that they can be viewed and interacted with on almost any platform. Whether you’re using a conventional computer, a tablet, or a mobile device, the platform should operate smoothly.
- AI and predictive analytics. With the power of AI and predictive analytics, you can dig much deeper and come up with much more accurate, sweeping conclusions.
- Easy embedding and sharing. You’ll also have an easy time embedding and sharing this dashboard, featuring it on your website, sending it to clients, and making it easy for lay audiences to parse.
What are the benefits of modern dashboards?
- Accessibility. First, you’ll have more accessibility than ever before. Anyone who wants to see your dashboard and is authorized to do so will be able to – and they’ll be able to use filters and other controls to find exactly the data they need. Thanks to user management, you can also offer more accessibility without compromising privacy or security.
- Truly real-time data. Real-time data (RTD) is increasingly becoming a necessity for modern businesses. It’s no longer enough to look at all your data retrospectively; you should be able to understand what’s happening in your business at this current moment, and at a glance.
- Infinite customization potential. Many types of businesses can get by with a default, universal dashboard meant for any type of business. But you’ll see much better benefits if you’re able to customize your dashboard for exactly what you need. With the near-infinite customization potential of modern dashboards, you’ll end up with a much better fit.
- Referenceability. Do you need to see a specific chart? Do you need to filter out an important variable? Modern dashboards make referencing much easier and more efficient.
- Advanced data processing and analytics. There’s only so much our human brains can do to process large quantities of objective data. With machine learning, predictive analytics, and artificial intelligence, you can dig deeper and improve your business intelligence.
Getting the Most Value
What steps can you take to get the most value out of your modern dashboard?
- Choose the right product. There are many different dashboard products out there, but not all of them will be a good fit for your business. You may even consider building your own from scratch.
- Build a strong team. Realistically, a dashboard is only as strong as the people referencing it. If your team members are unfamiliar with data analytics, or if they don’t know how to use this dashboard specifically, you’re not going to see good results. Make sure you build a strong team that can help you realize your full potential.
- Practice ongoing learning. There’s always more to learn about your core products and about data analytics, so practice ongoing learning so you never fall behind. Consult tutorials and help forums periodically to stay up-to-date with the latest developments and best practices – and consider taking new classes and forms of training to improve your analytical skills further.
No matter what type of business you have, it can probably be improved by the benefits of modern dashboards. With more transparent access to data, more advanced analytics, and an easier, more intuitive design, you’ll be in a much better position to accomplish your goals.