Signs Your Management Cares About Employees

By Dennis McCafferty
  • Previous


    Management treats you like a valuable professional who has meaningful insights to offer.

The numbers are troubling: A mere 13 percent of employees worldwide are engaged at work, according to Gallup. Of the other 87 percent, 63 percent are not engaged (they lack motivation and are fairly apathetic), and 24 percent are actively disengaged (they're unhappy, unproductive and likely to spread their negative feelings to colleagues). One of the best ways for managers to reverse those findings is to demonstrate that they care about their employees' welfare. But that requires going far beyond simply asking, "How are you today?" and organizing office birthday parties. Instead, an organization must cultivate a culture of empathy at all levels. Managers should look for ways to enhance their staff members' professional development, job satisfaction and work-life balance. They have to know how to successfully pursue business challenges without overloading their teams with work and stress, while also discouraging shortcuts that could lead to questionable ethical practices. The following list of "signs that managers care" was adapted primarily from the Center for Companies That Care, along with a variety of other online sources.

This article was originally published on 2014-04-10
Dennis McCafferty is a freelance writer for Baseline Magazine.
eWeek eWeek

Have the latest technology news and resources emailed to you everyday.