Fitting the IT BillBy Samuel Greengard | Posted 2009-02-27 Email Print
WEBINAR: On-demand webcast
Next-Generation Applications Require the Power and Performance of Next-Generation Workstations REGISTER >
Five ways to reduce energy costs.
Here are five ways to trim energy costs:
• Use energy auditing tools. Understand how systems are drawing power and how configuration changes can benefit your organization.
• Optimize systems. Ensure that servers and PCs are operating efficiently, and that they’re switched off when not needed.
• Cool the data center efficiently. Many data centers are overcooled, and others wind up with hot and cold pockets in the wrong places. Invest in equipment that can maintain the correct temperature.
• Develop a retirement strategy. Understand the life cycle of equipment and when new systems make sense—and save energy dollars.
• Embrace sustainability. Consider using solar, wind, rainwater capture and other methods to reduce costs and also provide power in the event of a service interruption or a disaster.