Making the Most of Windows 10 in Your EnterpriseBy Guest Author | Posted 2016-02-17 Email Print
This article takes an in-depth look at the enterprise version of Windows 10 and covers some of the most useful, powerful features—and how to access and use them.
Windows 10 comes with Internet Explorer (IE) 11 pre-installed. However, many old corporate intranet sites won’t display or operate on modern browsers. Enterprise Mode combats this by disabling features in IE 11 that can cause issues.
Once activated, you can use Enterprise Mode feature in IE11 or later using the following steps:
· Navigate to the menu bar (press the ALT key if you can’t see it).
· Click on Tools.
· Select Enterprise Mode.
Windows Store for Business
If you’re a system admin or IT decision-maker, the Windows Store for Business is an easier way to find, acquire, manage and distribute applications throughout your enterprise. You can also create your own private store and control the available apps.
To set up Windows Store for Business:
· Sign your business up here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/business-store.
· Assign employees' roles to change account settings, and acquire and distribute apps.
· Select your apps, which can be line-of-business or standard Windows Store apps.
· Select a licensing model. Online licensing requires users to connect to the store to download apps. Offline licensing allows your organization to cache apps and licences to deploy within the network.
· Choose your distribution model using Store for Business or a third-party management tool. Using a management tool gives greater control over the distribution of apps.
All that’s left is the ongoing management of app inventory and distribution.
Connecting to Company Resources
DirectAccess is a form of remote connection activated in combination with Windows Server. It allows a user to connect to company resources without using a VPN. In addition, employee computers remain connected to the organization's system, which has these benefits:
· As an administrator, there's no need to train your entire organization on how to create a VPN connection. Also, you can manage a DirectAccess device whenever it is turned on and connected to the Internet, which is great for troubleshooting remote workers or locking devices in the event of theft.
· As a user, there's no longer a need to know how to create a VPN—or to remember how to deactivate it. This makes the access of company resources and files much easier when on the move.
Activating DirectAccess is a lengthy process, which can vary depending on the version of Windows Server you are using. There is a comprehensive overview for activating DirectAccess in Windows Server 2012 in the TechNet library.
So there you have it: Your guide to making the most of Windows 10 Enterprise. But don’t stop here because there are many other useful features to discover.
Ed Jones, who works for Firebrand Training, has worked in the IT training and certification industry for the past five years. He is a tech enthusiast with experience working with Windows Server, Windows desktop and SharePoint.
IT Solutions Builder TOP IT RESOURCES TO MOVE YOUR BUSINESS FORWARD
Which topic are you interested in?
What is your company size?
What is your job title?
What is your job function?
Searching our resource database to find your matches...