The PayoffBy Kevin Fitzpatrick | Posted 2010-02-04 Email Print
WEBINAR: On-demand webcast
Next-Generation Applications Require the Power and Performance of Next-Generation Workstations REGISTER >
ROEL Construction implemented Virtualization and storage solutions that improved data center operations and would scale to meet its future needs, while providing the eco-friendly and cost-saving benefits of reduced power and energy consumption.
Partnering with LANSolutions, a local solution provider, enabled us to plan and implement the project efficiently. The firm’s staff provided the information transfer that enabled our internal IT staff to be able to support and maintain the system.
Here are the results of our data center makeover:
• We eliminated 22 physical servers and the need for server upgrades, which would have cost more than $70,000.
• There was an 80 percent reduction in electricity usage; the kilowatt hours used went from 133,000 to 26,700.
• We achieved savings of $12,000 in annual power and cooling costs .
• San Diego Gas & Energy gave us a $6,000 rebate.
• We estimate a saving of $40,000 by choosing iSCSI —money that would have been needed to upgrade the Fibre Channel back end.
• We saved time and money by backing up centralized data, rather than having data scattered in various locations.
Being a responsible corporate citizen is vital to ROEL’s culture and mission. At the same time, earning and saving money and streamlining our operations are important to our business.
Our company’s goal to decrease our environmental footprint intersected perfectly with the business drivers and led to our data center makeover. Our results prove that there is a way to make doing the right thing pay great dividends.
Kevin Fitzpatrick has been with ROEL Construction for more than 17 years and has been IT director for the last 12 years. He has worked in the construction industry for more than 25 years.