Must-Haves and Must-Avoids of XaaSBy Tony Kontzer | Posted 2009-06-04 Print
What to look for -- and what to avoid -- in a cloud service provider.
What should you look for in a cloud offering? Here are some things cloud service providers should bring to the table—and some reasons to avoid certain providers.
XaaS providers should offer:
- assurances that data can easily be extracted and moved to another provider;
- a clear explanation of their security schemes and a willingness to have those schemes audited, as well as an explicit plan of what they will do for customers if security is breached;
- the ability to meet compliance and regulatory requirements;
- management tools that can track performance levels and provide executives with dashboard snapshots of usage trends;
- all details about whoever is granted special access to data;
- a transparent view of who their providers are;
- the ability for you to control the location of your data; and
- provisions regarding what happens to your data in case of disaster, or if the service provider should go out of business.
Conversely, XaaS providers should be avoided if:
- their security measures don’t meet your security requirements;
- you feel uncertain of their long-term viability;
- they won’t agree to limit future rate increases;
- they can’t tell you the types of companies that will store their data on the same servers you use to store your information;
- they don’t provide you with a simple way to log activity for compliance purposes;
- they lock you into a proprietary format to which you’re not 100 percent committed; or
- they can’t guarantee that your data will be portable at a moment’s notice.
IT Solutions Builder TOP IT RESOURCES TO MOVE YOUR BUSINESS FORWARD
Which topic are you interested in?
What is your company size?
What is your job title?
What is your job function?
Searching our resource database to find your matches...