Rules for WomenBy Claire Meirowitz | Posted 2009-03-24 Email Print
Re-Thinking HR: What Every CIO Needs to Know About Tomorrow's Workforce
Your appearance can make a difference in your career.
Here are some tips to help women look and feel professional:
1. Resist the temptation to ditch your pantyhose, even if your company’s dress code doesn’t require them. Bare legs definitely don’t convey a professional look.
2. Regular sandals and open-toed shoes—worn with toeless stockings—are usually acceptable, but flip-flops, toe-post sandals and the like are not.
3. Tall and lean? Choose horizontal patterns in your jackets. A windowpane or glen-plaid jacket with a solid trouser or skirt will break up the vertical line and make you appear shorter.
4. Full-figured? Then consider a side-zipped trouser with a wide straight leg that skims over your body. Choose a jacket cut to just below your waist, to make your legs look longer than your torso.
5. Petite? A cropped jacket can make your legs appear longer.