What You Should DoBy Larry Barrett | Posted 2003-01-13 Email Print
After two humiliating technology failures, six major news services are disbanding VNS, a consortium formed to count votes and conduct Election Day surveys. How could the system have been overhauled before disaster struck twice?
Launching on a Deadline
- Test early: Stress-test your system at least six months before launch
- Test heavy: Put it through at least 10 times as much activity as you really expect
- Trick yourself: Establish a deadline at least two months in advance of the "real" deadline and make all project managers and vendors comply
- Name one chief: Regardless how many partners, consultants and vendors are involved, give one person ultimate decision-making power
- Don't reinvent the wheel: Make good use of existing personnel and technology, where possible