ZIFFPAGE TITLE5 Steps to Prevent Data LossBy Baselinemag | Posted 2006-07-12 Print
One of the CIO's nightmares du jour: A laptop with sensitive info gets lost or stolen, landing the organization in the headlines. Here's how enterprises are stepping up their safeguards.
5 Steps to Prevent Data Loss
1. Guard against human error.Use security technologies, such as data encryption, as a safety net for honest mistakes.
2. When in doubt, encrypt.All laptop hard drives should be encrypted.
3. Monitor outgoing messages.Use software to block e-mail messages or file transfers with confidential data.
4. Ensure security is easy to use.Otherwise, employees will find ways to get around it.
5. Audit security practices regularly.Experts say such reviews should happen at least monthly.
QUESTION: What's the best way to reduce the risk of data leaks—short of taking laptops away from users? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IT Solutions Builder TOP IT RESOURCES TO MOVE YOUR BUSINESS FORWARD
Which topic are you interested in?
What is your company size?
What is your job title?
What is your job function?
Searching our resource database to find your matches...